and addictive! Pick the sweetest onions you can find, it is vital to this recipe.
Serve with burgers and a milk shake (burgers and beer is much better) for a
drive-in experience at home!
Serving: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups club soda (beer works great as well)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large sweet yellow onions, cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices and separated
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder,
ground red pepper, and salt. Whisk the club soda into the flour mixture.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil over medium heat until hot but
- Dip each onion ring into the batter, allowing the excess to drip back
into the bowl. Frey a few rings at a time for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden.
Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and serve.